A damp and wet basement is a bigger health hazard than most people realize. You might not think much of the humidity in the air or the musty smell, but those are warning signs. When nothing is done, there will be damage to the walls, floor, foundation, and property in there. You need to be more worried about the mold and mildew growth that will ensue.
If your family keeps breathing in the mold spores, they shall develop respiratory issues, headaches, allergic reactions, asthma, and even cancer. The mold may be invisible, but that is not a sign you are safe as long as the basement is damp. You shall achieve more when you hire a professional mold inspection and removal service.
Signs of mold you can see are a green, brown, gray, or white splotches on the surfaces and items in the basement. Other signs include a musty odor, water damage signs like water stains or peeling wallpapers, water leaks from pipes or the outside, recent flooding in the basement, and an increase in symptoms like coughing, sneezing, and headaches after being in the basement. You should therefore not hesitate in calling in the professional for mold testing. A test shall let you know what to do next. You are better off not finding any than assuming there is none.
Mold testing shall not only look for their presence, but it shall also determine how extensive their spread is the regions it is thriving the most, and the type of mold present. They shall inspect every corner and get samples. They will also take samples of the air for detection of spores. Collection of air samples happens in all the rooms. They will then proceed to the lab to do the analysis. You shall get a comprehensive report of what you are dealing with after a while.
Should they detect the presence of mold, they shall proceed to offer the mold removal services. They get to offer that service fast before things get out of hand. They will begin by sealing off the contaminated areas. They shall thus proceed to spray the visible mold, vacuum it up, apply antimicrobial and antifungal agents on the surfaces, and purify the air. If there are items in there too contaminated, they shall ask you to have them removed.
You need to find a way to get rid of the mold in the house. You should also make sure this never happens again, by installing preventative measures. A good measure is to keep the basement moisture free, and the house well ventilated. Should you see any signs of mold in the house, do not hesitate to call in the professionals. You need to do so for the sake of your house.